Friday, 18 December 2015
Pakistan has the second highest concentration of out of school children in the world after Nigeria, Kashif Abbasi
Pakistan has the second highest concentration of out of school children in the world after Nigeria, Kashif Abbasi, Dawn, December 18th, 2015
ISLAMABAD: Despite increasing the education budget and making several national and international commitments, the federal and provincial governments have still failed to bring about major breakthroughs in bringing out-of-school children to school.
According to the Annual Status of Education Report-ASER 2015 national survey, 20 per cent of children between six and 16 are out-of-school across the country. The survey also showed that the remaining 80 per cent of (enrolled) children in the same age bracket are not learning much.
It stated that just over half the children enrolled in fifth grade can read stories in Urdu, Sindhi or Pashto, 51 per cent cannot read sentences in English, and 50 per cent cannot do two digit division.